How we collect information about you
When you visit the GMC Online Payments website or use the GMC Online Payments, we collect your IP address and standard web log information, such as your browser type and the pages you accessed on our website.
When you are using the GMC Online Payments, we collect information about your transactions and your other activities on our website or using the GMC Online Payments and we may collect information about your computer or other access device for fraud prevention purposes.
When you access our website, we, or companies we hire to track how our website is used, may place small data files called "cookies" on your computer.
We may send longer-lasting cookies to display your billing address details on our payment form, so that you don't need to retype the billing address each time you make payment by GMC Online Payments.
We encode our cookies so that only we can interpret the information stored in them. You are free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, but doing so may interfere with your use of our website.
How we protect and store personal information
Throughout this policy, we use the term "personal information" to describe information that can be associated with a specific person and can be used to identify that person. We do not consider personal information to include information that has been anonymized so that it does not identify a specific user.
We store and process your personal information on our computers in the UK and we protect it by maintaining physical, electronic and procedural safeguards. We use computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption, we enforce physical access controls to our buildings and files, and we authorize access to personal information only for those employees who require it to fulfill their job responsibilities.
How we use the personal information we collect
Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide you with a safe, smooth, efficient, and customized experience. To that end, we use your personal information to:
- provide the services and customer support you request;
- process transactions and send notices about your transactions;
- resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems;
- prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities, and enforce our User Agreement;
- customize, measure, and improve our services and the content and layout of our website;
- deliver targeted marketing, service update notices, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences;
- compare information for accuracy and verify it with third parties.
We do not sell or rent your personal information to third-parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may combine your information with information we collect from other companies and use it to improve and personalize our services, content and advertising. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us or participate in our ad-customization programs, simply indicate your preference by logging into your account going to the Profile subtab under the My Account tab and adjusting your preferences or by following the directions provided with the communication or advertisement.
How we share personal information with other GMC Online Payments users
To process your payments, we need to share some of your personal information with the person or company that you are paying or who is paying you. Your contact information, date of sign-up, the number of payments you have received from verified GMC Online Payments users, and whether you have verified control of a bank account are provided to other GMC Online Payments users whom you transact with through GMC Online Payments. In addition, this and other information may also be shared with third parties when you use these third parties to access GMC Online Payments services. Unless you agreed to it, these third parties are not allowed to use this information for any other purpose other than to enable the GMC Online Payments.
If you are buying goods or services and pay through GMC Online Payments, we may also provide the seller with your confirmed credit card billing address to help complete your transaction with the seller. The seller is not allowed to use this information to market their services to you unless you have agreed to it.
We work with third parties, including merchants to enable them to accept or facilitate payments from or to you using GMC Online Payments. In doing so, a third party may share information about you with us, such as your email address or mobile phone number, when a payment is sent to you or, when you attempt to pay that merchant or through that third party. We use this information to confirm to that you are a GMC Online Payments customer and that GMC Online Payments as a form of payment can be enabled, or where a payment is sent to you to send you notification that you have received a payment.
Regardless, we will not disclose your credit card number or bank account number to anyone you have paid or who has paid you through GMC Online Payments or with the third parties that offer or use the GMC Online Payments, except with your express permission or if we are required to do so to comply with credit card association rules, a valid regulatory or law enforcement request, or, to cooperate in an ongoing law enforcement investigation, as otherwise required by law.
How we share personal information with other parties
- Service providers under contract who help with parts of our business operations; (fraud prevention, collection activities, marketing, technology services). Our contracts dictate that these service providers only use your information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit.
- Law enforcement, government officials, or other third parties when:
- we are compelled to do so by a subpoena, court order or similar legal procedure,
- we need to do so to comply with law or credit card association rules
- we are cooperating with an ongoing law enforcement investigation,
- we believe in good faith that the disclosure of personal information is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, to report suspected illegal activity, or to investigate violations of our User Agreement.
- Other third parties with your consent or direction to do so.
Please note that these third parties may be in other countries where the laws on processing personal information may be less stringent than in your country.
GMC Online Payments will not sell or rent any of your personal information to third parties in the normal course of doing business and only shares your personal information with third parties as described in this policy.